The Engineering Society of Detroit (ESD), host to The ESD Institute, is a neutral body of engineers, scientists, architects and technical professionals. ESD is in a unique position to take on a very valuable role in addressing the critical issues of our region and time for many of the same reasons that the National Academies are so positioned:
- ESD was founded in 1895 and is an established leader
- ESD is independent, objective and non-partisan
- ESD has high standards of technical quality
- ESD is connected with most, if not all, of the Michigan universities and colleges, as well as the engineering, architecture and technical companies with a presence in our region.
- ESD offers the integrity, depth and diversity of the ESD Board of Directors